Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Banding Together

Adam and I purchased our wedding bands this past weekend!  Mine was ready to go on Saturday because I have normal lady-sized fingers.  However, we had to leave Adam's to get resized and I got to pick it up today from the jeweler.  They are now safely home in their resting place for the next year.

I find it funny that we bought our wedding bands to have them sit around for a year, but there was a sale!  I originally wanted to wait until this summer, just because it was something we could get out of the way early on, but G. Thomas Jewelers had everything for 30% off from May 1-12.  Adam got my engagement ring from there and he really liked the service and the local feel to it.  So, we decided to go wedding band shopping, without any real intention (I think...) of actually buying anything.

I had an idea of what I was looking for, but I knew that I wanted to see it with my engagement ring before I really decided. I had my selections narrowed down to:
a plain white gold band / Kay Jewelers
a white gold band with a row of diamonds / Kay Jewelers
and I just absolutely love this one / Kay Jewelers


We decided that the plain band just didn't look good with my ring.  We tried on several bands with rows of diamonds and found one that we both liked.  Because I am completely unwilling to commit to something without checking the prices at several other places first, we decided to go around the mall and compare prices and styles.

After running around the mall for an hour, we realized that I was just comparing all the rings to the one I liked at G. Thomas.  The one at G. Thomas was more expensive, even with the sale, but we decided that their service was worth the extra money and that the diamonds are better quality too.

Without further ado, I present to you my wedding band.  You might notice my fancy leather ring box is a step up from the matchbook box! I also hope that you don't notice my wrinkly old lady fingers!



What really surprised me (that I liked) about this ring is that the diamonds on the band are a smaller size than the ones on the engagement ring.  We found a band at the mall that was practically identical in stone size, but I felt like it took away from the engagement ring.  This band is a little more dainty, not really enough to notice, but it does leave the focus on the "big rock".

Okay, so enough about me...Adam did get a ring too.  See his matching box up above? It just makes me smile!

Adam picked out a palladium band.  I had never heard of palladium before, but it has more weight to it than white gold, but mimics the appearance of it.  Adam and I both decided that we liked the lighter color rings instead of the dark tungstens that are rather popular now.  I think that white gold just looks very clean and classic.

(I think blogging is going to force me to buy a new camera.)


The cool thing about this metal also is that we could choose to have the satin brushed finish or the high-polish finish.  Adam chose the satin finish on the edges and then the high-polish for the ring around the middle.

And the best part of it, besides the fact that we saved 30%?  The jeweler telling Adam he had lady fingers.  The sample sizes that he tried on were size 10 and they were just huge on him.  They got him measured and he was a 7.  The jeweler got such a kick out of his ring size that she actually grabbed a woman's ring and stuck it on his finger.  He ended up getting it cut down to a 7.25 just to allow for fluctuation and it is still a little too big!  When I went to pick his ring up today, she said, "tell Adam he has lady fingers for me."  Gotta love a smart-ass jeweler while we're spending our savings!

So now, I just want to wear our wedding bands around.  That might be the hardest part of buying them so early, just thinking about them sitting all lonely waiting around for our wedding. Hah!

So what do you think?  How did you decide on your wedding bands? 

No comments:

Post a Comment